OSU Fee Waiver Facts
Oklahoma State University
1. 71% of OSUās tuition waivers went to Oklahoma students last year. The remaining 29% of the awards were used to attract outstanding out-of-state students.
2. Over 90 % of the graduate students receiving out-of-state waivers are top students recruited nationally for teaching or research assistantships:
- For $9.8 million in non-resident waivers, out-of-state students paid $15,000 each to attend OSU ö contributing $40 million dollars to the Oklahoma economyö a four-to-one match on the waiver investment.
- Those students enhance the academic profile of the student body as well as the geographic diversity on the OSU campus ö a brain gain!
- Ashleigh Hildebrand came to OSU from Wichita. Today sheās earning a degree in chemical engineering, and along with a classmate, just won a competitive Goldwater scholarship.
- Trent McKnight is the son of OSU alumni from Texas who earned a Legacy fee waiver at OSU. He spent the past year serving as the National FFA President, traveling around the world with Oklahoma State University on his resume.
In Physics, Dr. James Harmon directs seven research assistants with just under $18,000 in waivers to pursue a $3.6 million research program in biological and chemical sensors. Harmon and his team have grants from NASA, the Department of Defense, and the Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism.
- These graduate students supplement instructional resources in order to lower class sizes at the lower division level and contribute to the productivity of OSU research labs to generate resources for Oklahoma.
- OSU would have needed $15 million to put full-time faculty in all the sections graduate students taught for $1.7 million in waivers ö a return of nearly 9-to-1 on the investment.
- The average graduate teaching assistant with a waiver of $2,900 per year generates $23,000 in tuition from the students they teach.
- The average graduate research assistant receives a waiver of approximately $2,500 per year to amplify research capacity. $1.9 million in tuition waivers to research assistants supports $96 million in research expenditures.
Some of those bright students get bright ideas that turn into new companies in our state. Colin Cummings was one of those. After graduate work at OSU, he started a small company called Nomadics in 1994. Today, Nomadics partners with OSU in federal grants and in bringing university patents to the marketplace. Nomadics is the anchor tenant of the Oklahoma Technology Research Park in Stillwater and employs 65 scientists and engineers.
3. Last summer, even before the full impact of the stateās fiscal crisis was apparent, OSU made changes that will reduce tuition waivers by more than $1.5 million. OSU reduced the dollar value of an out-of-state waiver (non-residents with a waiver will now pay nearly $2,000 PLUS the full resident cost of attending OSU), raised the criteria to earn a waiver and increased the academic performance required to retain a waiver.
The Bottom Line
Non-resident fee waivers attract students who contribute millions of dollars in cash to the Oklahoma economy, improve the academic quality of the university, add millions of dollars of resources to the teaching and research mission of the institution and economic potential to the stateās future.
In other words, the waivers leverage state resources for increased benefits to Oklahoma.
For information about this page, send e-mail to
OSU Home Page | About OSU | Academics | Connections
Admissions | Centers | Colleges | Research | Extension