For Some Selected Civil War Units

Walt Cross

Web Counter shows you are historian number to visit this page.

A Link to my
Genealogy Page
A link to The Pheons 1st Bn, 7th Artillery
A link to 87th Cavalry Squadron (WWII)
A Link to other Regimental Histories (Civil War units)

  • The 28th Wisconsin
  • The Sergeant Major's Muster Roll
  • Major General William Thomas Ward, USA.
  • About the author
    Regiment: An army unit, commanded by a colonel, and containing subordinate units of battalions (infantry), troops (cavalry), or batteries (artillery).

    Click down for a bibliography of sources

    Sketches of Regimental Histories

  • 1st Tennessee Infantry Regiment (Confederate)

  • 3rd Kentucky Cavalry Regiment (Union)

  • 9th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (Union)
    NEW: 9th Kentucky Muster Roster

  • 9th Tenn Cavalry (Confederate)

  • 11th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (Union)

  • 27th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (Union)
    NEW: 27th Kentucky Muster Roster

  • 37th Kentucky Mounted Infantry (Union)
    NEW: 37th Muster Roster

    The 3rd Kentucky Cavalry was raised in September of 1861 at the call of James S. Jackson, a unionist from Hopkinsville, Kentucky. The men came principally from the counties of the Green river region and Christian county. The 3rd Cavalry was quickly in action with fledgling Confederate cavalry also being formed in that part of the state. In October they were engaged at Woodbury and Brownsville, Kentucky. On December 31st, 1861 the 3rd Kentucky Cavalry was mustered in the service of the United States at Calhoun, Kentucky. Three days prior to mustering in, a part of the 3rd Cavalry under command of eighteen year old Maj E. H. Murray and consisting of 168 men, was attacked while on a scout by Confederate forces under Col. Nathan Bedford Forrest who outnumbered him almost two to one. The fight was fierce and Murray, badly outnumbered, suffered casualties. Capt. Bacon was killed and Capt. Davis captured. In addition, eight troopers were killed and many wounded. Forrest also lost a Capt. Meriwether, three troopers killed and several wounded which he took to Hopkinsville. Youn Murray's conduct received the praise of General Crittenden. The regiment remained in Western Kentucky during the winter fighting Confederate raiders from Hopkinsville and other points.
    The 3rd advanced into Tennessee along with the rest of the Union army and proceeded to Nashville. It accompanied Buell to Pittsburg Landing and participated in the second day's fighting at the Battle of Shiloh. Afterward, the 3rd continued in Crittenden's division, Buell's army, in the movements on Corinth and Iuka, Mississippi. Jackson was raised to command of Buell's entire cavalry force and promoted to brigadier general. When Buell returned to Kentucky in response to Confederate General Bragg's movement into the border state, the 3rd Cavlary went as well, to the Battle of Perryville. On their way there, the 3rd helped to envelope and capture the 3rd Georgia Cavalry Regiment at New Haven, Kentucky. It was at Perryville that their former commander, Brigadier General James S. Jackson was killed. After Perryville the 3rd moved south to Nashville and became a part of General Rosecran's army. In December of 1862 the 3rd was in severe combat at Franklin and again at Wildcat creek in Tennessee. In the Battle of Stone's River the 3rd gave a good account of itself. By this time, young Murray had been advanced to full colonel of the regiment. A dispatch from the fight at Murfreesboro mentioned Murray stating: "Col. Murray, with a handful of men, performed service that would do honor to a full regiment." The 3rd Cavalry, with other Kentucky regiments, was sent back to Kentucky for refitting. While there, the 3rd was stationed at Hopkinsville and Russellville, engaging Confederate partisans throughout the winter. Later in the spring, a battalion of the 3rd, under command of Maj. Lewis Wolfley, participated in the capture of Col. John Hunt Morgan, the famous rebel raider. In December of 1863 the 3rd played an important part in driving Forrest from West Tennessee. The 3rd then took part in the Atlanta campaign, riding completly around the city and the rebel army. After the surrender of that city to Major General William Thomas Ward, a fellow Kentuckian and division commander under Sherman, the 3rd fought skirmishes almost without number with General John Bell Hood's army all during the month of October 1864. They then prepared to march to the sea with Sherman. On this famous campaign the 3rd fought battles at Blackville, S.C., Lancaster, Taylor's Crossroads, and Fayetteville. In North Carolina they were engaged at Mount Olive. In April of 1865 near Lexington, N.C. the 3rd was mustered out of service, the officers and men having proved themselves everywhere worthy of their first brilliant and heroic leader, James S. Jackson.
    The 9th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry was recruited and organized by Col. Ben C. Grider, in parts of the state contiguous to Columbia, Kentucky. The regiment was mustered into United States service on November 26, 1861 at Columbia, Kentucky by Maj. W. H. Sidell, U. S. mustering officer. In February of 1862 the regiment marched to Nashville and then to Pittsburg Landing with General Buell. The 9th found itself part of General Crittenden's division, Boyle's brigade. The division crossed the Tennessee river at 9pm April 6th, and took position in the middle of Buell's army. General Crittenden stated "We were exposed to several attacks from very superior forces; all were repelled nobly; my division only left its position to advance." The enemy made an attack upon the left of the center, where a battery of artillery had been placed. The 9th under Col. Grider and the 59th Ohio were ordered to advance rapidly and engage the enemy. The charge was successful, although the 9th suffered three officers killed and ten men wounded. Ironically, the 9th Kentucky had fought against a Confederate Kentucky regiment along with some troops from Mississippi and Arkansas under the command of Col. Joseph H. Lewis of Glasgow. At the end of this second day of fighting at the Battle of Shiloh, the 9th had four captains wounded, three lieutenants killed and three wounded, fourteen men killed and sixty seven wounded. It was an expensive baptism in fire. Col. Grider mentioned the following officers for gallantry: Adjutant J. H. Grider, Capts. Austin, Cram, Baily, Bryan, Veter, Coyule, Chenoweth and Harding as well as Lieutenants Reed, Moore, Tate, Stout, Jenkins, Underwood, Clark, Faulkner, Pipkins, and Surgeon John A. Lindsay. After the Battle of Perryville in which the 9th saw limited action, they followed Bragg out of Kentucky and into Tennessee. At the Battle of Stone's River the 9th was commended for its fine service. The 9th's colors were among the first to cross the river, under intense fire and helped capture four enemy guns. The 9th was soon engaged again and suffered greatly when they were caught in a flanking attack. The regiment's major and adjutant wounded, two captains killed and another wounded, two lieutenants were killed and two others wounded. Eighteen men were killed and eighty wounded. These casualties demonstrate how desperately the 9th was engaged in the victorious struggle. Soon after the battle the 9th, along with the 11th Kentucky were ordered home to replenish its thinned ranks. In referring to these two regiments Crittenden referred to them as "My fighting regiments." In September of 1863 the 9th found itself at the foot of Lookout Mountain, moved to Gordon's Mill south of Chatanooga, and was engaged in the Battle of Chickamauga. At the point of that disastrous battle the 9th Kentucky Infantry along with the 44th Indiana and the 17th Kentucky formed a nucleus of resistance against the swarming Confederate forces. These three courageous units did not leave the field until ordered to do so. Col. Beatty, the brigade commander stated the 9th and 17th Kentucky held "...possession of a hill by most terrific fighting until dark, when they withdrew by order and joined the army at Rossville." The 9th suffered sixty casualties. The 9th remained at Chatanooga as General U.S. Grant took command of all the Eastern armies. The 9th was engaged on November 23rd and on the 25th participated in the Battle of Missionary Ridge, the charge that has no parallel perhaps in any war. The men themselves ordered the attack, moving forward without orders when the rebel fire became intolerable. The 9th charged up the ridge, ignoring the shot and shell to help capture the nine guns of the enemy artillery battery. It was in this charge that Arthur McArthur, the father of the famous World War II hero General Douglas McArthur, won the Medal of Honor. The enemy counter attacked and the 9th struggled with them until darkness fell, when the rebels finally retreated, leaving the 9th and the rest of the Union army in possession of Missionary Ridge. The 9th's casualties were light considering the amount of fighting they had done, one officer was killed and four wounded, while four soldiers were mortally wounded and twenty five wounded. The 9th returned to Chatanooga, refitted, and marched off to relieve Burnside at Knoxville, who was under siege by Longstreet. The siege being raised, the 9th marched and joined Sherman's army in the Atlanta campaign. In the months of May, June, July and August of 1864 the 9th was in contact with the enemy, skirmishing, flanking, building breastworks and fighting. Crossing the Chattahoochee at Power Ferry, the 9th took part in the Battle of Peachtree Creek. Casualties from the Atlanta campaign was seventy three, including one officer killed. After Atlanta surrendered to Major General William Thomas Ward, a fellow Kentuckian and division commander under Sherman, the 9th went into camp. It was short lived however, for when Hood made his move to Sherman's rear, the 9th moved out, marching through the hills of Georgia during the entire month of October, 1864. If a march in wartime can be called enjoyable, this one was. The weather was fine and there was no scarcity of provisions. The pursuit of Bragg by the 9th ended when he entered Alabama. The 9th returned to Nashville and then to Pulaski, Tennessee where their term of enlistment expired. They returned to Kentucky and were mustered out of service in Louisville in December, 1864. See: "A Southern Boy in Blue" by Kenneth W. Noe.

    The 11th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry was recruited in the fall of 1861 by Col. Pierce Butler Hawkins, of Bowling Green, Kentucky. The companies were formed from the Green river counties of Muhlenberg, Butler, Warren, Logan, and Edmonson, and went into camp at Calhoun, Kentucky where several regiments were raised at the same time. The Confederates were in camp at Bowling Green, Russelville, Hopkinsville and other places. Skirmishing between the rival groups went on during December of 1861 and January of 1862. In February, after the fall of Fort Donelson, the Confederates retreated and the Union army followed them into Tennessee. The 11th marched with Buell's army to Pittsburg Landing and after crossing the river the night of April 6th, it participated in the Battle of Shiloh. Col. Smith, commanding the 14th Brigade of which the 11th was a part, stated "The 13th Ohio, 11th Kentucky, and the 26th Kentucky seemed to vie with each other in determined valor."
    Col. Hawkins in his report on this battle stated "...engaging the enemy, who were drawn up in considerable numbers in the brush and playing upon us from their batteries,...we were compelled to fall back to the original line of battle. I then by your order charged the enemy, and succeeded in driving him, found and captured one piece of artillery...holding it until the engagement ceased."
    This statement shows the courage of the men, which seemed to rise with the danger, in the first battle they were in, and it continued to be displayed by them throughout their service. Col. Hawkins specially mentions for gallantry, LtCol S.P. Love and Maj E.H. Mottley, officers who showed the same gallantry in many a future battle. The 11th's casualties were five killed and forty-six wounded. After Shiloh the 11th shadow boxed with Confederate General Bragg's army until it joined with it in the Battle of Perryville where they were involved in some brisk skirmishes before Bragg retired from the state back to Tennessee, his mission unfullfilled. The 11th was in the army dogging Bragg, and took part in the Battle of Stone's River. Of that battle MAJ Mottley says: "I ordered my regiment forward under the most terrific storm of shot and shell and musketry it has ever been my lot to witness. I advanced about one hundred yards when I ordered a halt and commenced firing. I broke their ranks more than once. Their colors were shot down several times, but their broken ranks were speedily filled with fresh troops." Effecting a crossing of the river under steady fire, the 11th Infantry Regiment with other elements of the brigade "...succeeded in putting the enemy to flight, capturing four pieces of the celebrated Washington Artillery". Casualties were seven killed and eighty five wounded. COL Beatty, commanding the brigade, stated: "The reserve, consisting of the 19th Ohio and 9th and 11th Kentucky, advanced most gallantly toward the crest of the hill and poured a destructive fire upon the enemy, whose first column was by this time almost annihilated." After the battle General Rosecrans wrote in a communication to General Wright "I propose to send up the 9th and 11th Kentucky to Bowling Green (two first rate fighting regiments raised in that neighborhood) to replenish their thinned ranks." After spending the months of February to July in Bowling Green, patroling and engaging Confederate guerillas, the 11th was mounted and operated with the cavalry on the campaign to East Tennessee.
    Under the command of General Manson, the 11th rode to Knoxville, Tennessee where they became a part of General Burnside's army, making frequent scouts toward and beyond Loudon and Sevierville, fighting and winning a battle at Rockford. At Lenoir Station they made contact with General Longstreet's army and fought a rearguard action as Burnside retreated into Knoxville, the 11th being the last regiment to enter the city ahead of the rebels. For three weeks the 11th found itself bottled up in Knoxville and engaged in numerous hand to hand clashes around the periphery of the the Union lines. When the rebels finally raised their siege, the 11th pursued the retreating rebels and engaged them at Bean's Station as Longstreet turned and tried to capture them. Longstreet suffered more loss than he inflicted on the stubborn 11th. The 11th was joined by the 27th Kentucky and combined under the command of Col. Love and they returned to Kentucky. Upon reaching Mount Sterling however, the 11th was dismounted and ordered to march back to East Tennessee, an order that couldn't have been received very favorably as the men were looking forward to seeing home. Col Love now had a brigade of three regiments and an artillery battery under his command. Reaching Knoxville his command boarded trains to join the main army around Atlanta. Flanking with the rest of Sherman's army, his command struck the railroad at Rough and Ready, then fought at Jonesboro and Lovejoy.
    After the surrender of Atlanta to General William Thomas Ward, a fellow Kentuckian and division commander under Sherman, the 11th joined in the pursuit of Hood, marching through Northern Georgia all through the month of October 1864. Unexpectedly, the 11th received orders to return to Kentucky, and on the 16th of December 1864, the 11th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiment was mustered out of service at Bowling Green, Kentucky. The 11th had done its duty, as had my great great grandfather, Pvt Benjamin F. Westray.

    27th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry was organized at Camp Dick Robinson by Major (later Major General) William Thomas Ward, General William Nelson, Edward H. Hobson, and John H. Ward (later Lieutenant Colonel and commander of the the regiment). A camp of instruction for recruits was then opened at Greensburg, Kentucky. Men were recruited from Casey, Green, Taylor, Hart, Nelson, Hardin, Grayson, Breckinridge and Mead counties. After some months of training and clashes with rebels from their own training camp a scant 24 miles away, the 27th occupied Bowling Green< Kentucky in the spring of 1862. They arrived at the site of the "Battle of Shiloh" after that terrible conflict and were assigned to burial detail. They then returned to Kentucky and participated in the "Battle of Perryville" and helped drive Conederate General Bragg out of the state. In September of 1863 the 27th was reorganized as mounted infantry and sent to join Union forces operating in East Tennessee under command of General Burnside. There they paricipated in battles in the towns of Philiadelphia and Knoxville, Tennessee. They were engaged in harrowing fighting that took them back and forth across the Tennessee River in night time engagements with rebel forces. They took part in battles around Atlanta including Pumpkin Vine Creek, Dallas, and Kennesaw Mountain as a part of the 23 Corps. The unit then returned to Owensboro, Kentucky to control Confederate guerrillas operating there. The unit was mustered out in December 1864. The regimental history was written by Colonel Ward and appears in "Union Regiments of Kentucky" by Thomas Speed.

    The 37th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (Mounted) was organized in the summer of 1863 in response to military operations in South Central Kentucky by Confederate guerillas. Companies A through C were mustered into United States Service on September 17, 1863. Companies D through G were mustered at the same place October 24, 1863. Company H was originally intended to join the 51st Kentucky Infantry, but was consolidated with the 37th at Covington, Kentucky on September 4th. The final two companies of I and K were sworn into service at Glasgow on December 21st and 22nd respectively. Right in the middle of the regiment's initial organization, Col. Hughes led a Confederate force against the undermanned regiment on the night of the 6th of October. One hundred and forty-two men of the regiment were captured. Major Martin, the ranking officer on station, fought his way free of the encircling rebels and rallied the remaining companies. They pursued Col. Hughes and his precious cargo of Union soldiers and caught up to him just south of the town of Tompkinsville, retaking most of his men, horses, and weapons. The regiment largely back to strength, they marched to Columbia, Kentucky and joined the 13th Kentucky Cavalry for a movement to East Tennessee. Col. John Hunt Morgan, that famous Confederate raider, led his fast moving cavalry on a thrust into Kentucky in June of 1864. The 37th, along with other units, moved to stop his advance, and at the small town of Cynthiana broke Morgan's command and released the prisoners he had taken. They then drove him from the state. Early in September of 1864 the 37th moved East to Saltville, Virginia and participated in the battle there in which their brigade commander, Col. Hanson, was wounded and captured. The 37th returned to Kentucky after the battles at Saltville and after safeguarding the state from partisans, its soldiers were discharged in December of 1864. Among the 37th's soldiers was Issac Cross the great, great grandfather of the author.


    "The Union Regiments of Kentucky" Capt. Thomas Speed.