Index and Continuation of Walt Cross' Webpages

Welcome! Click on the page below that interests you.

The Legacy of Ivanhoe
Lake Carl Blackwell
Cross Genealogy
Regimental Histories
Stillwater's Lakes
Points of Heraldry
Sons of Union Veterans
7th Artillery (The Pheons)
The Pheons Page 2
Captain David L. Payne

  • Continuation of Cross Genealogy Page
  • Continuation of The Sergeant Major's Muster Roll
  • Continuation of 1st Tennessee Regiment (Confederate)
  • 9th (Ward's)Tennessee Cavalry Regiment (Confederate)
  • Major General William Thomas Ward
  • Regimental History: 61st PA Vols
  • Maj. Gen. Edward Johnson, CSA
  • About the author

  • Browning: The earliest known member of my family of Brownings is Captain John Browning who was born in England about 1588 and sailed to America aboard the "Abigail" 1n 1622, having sailed from Gravesend, England. He stettled in Elizabeth City, Virginia. Among John's children were brothers William and George. I am descended from William Browning, who was born in England in 1615. William settled in Jamestown, Virginia and married there in 1645. John, son of William was born 1646 in Jamestown, he married circa 1665 and had at least one son named John. John Browning Jr was also born in Virginia circa 1676 in Jamestown and married there about 1699. He had at least seven sons, one of which was my ancestor, Francis Browning, who was born circa 1695 in Caroline County, Virginia. He married Elizabeth Carter Lloyd of Maryland about 1723 and died in 1775 at age 80 in Culpepper County, Virginia. Francis had two sons, Nicholas and Francis Browing Jr, my ancestor. Francis Jr was born around 1774 in Culpepper, Virginia, the youngest son of Francis Sr and Elizabeth Lloyd Browning. He married a woman named Frances Normand, which must have been confusing at times since they had identical sounding names. Despite Francis' death at the early age of 37, this couple had no less than eleven children. Among them was John Browning, my ancestor. John was born April 16, 1749 in Culpepper County, Virginia and married Elizabeth Strother of in 1774. She was the daughter of Captain John D. Strother, a prominent Virginian with large land holdings and very influential in the Colony's politics. John Browning served as an ensign in the Continental Army from Valley Forge to Yorktown, where he had the U.S. flag shot from his hands. He promptly picked it up and carried it on. He was a member of Washington's bodyguard and attained the rank of Lieut. Col. He returned home after eight grueling years of service in the Revolution in broken health, and died September 25, 1818 at the age of 67. He left his legacy to his thirteen children, among whom was George Strother Browning, my ancestor. George was born March 7th, 1789 in Culpepper County, Virginia. George married his first cousin, Gillian Covington on Christmas day, 1809. George was the sheriff of Logan County, Kentucky and a Colonel in the county militia. He died December 31, 1849. Here, the line of descent grows fuzzy, I'm workin' on it!

  • Westray: Simon Benjamin Westray is the earliest known member of this family and immigrated to Logan County, KY from VA. In his will dated March 5, 1817, Simon Westray names his wife Mary, Benjamin his eldest son, John his younger son, his two daughters Polly and Nancy, and his grandson Thomas Blanchard. Simon came to Logan County, KY from Isle of Wright County, VA. His will was probated on the 18th of May 1817. His father's name is Benjamin Simon Westray and his mother was Elizabeth Sawyer, both from VA. Simon's wife was Mary Saunders, daughter of John and Elizabeth Saunders, also from VA. Simon's children were Elizabeth, Benjamin, John Henry, Nancy, and Mary (known as Polly). John married Elizabeth "Betsy" Gibbs with whom he had children prior to his death in March 1841. Ironically, John was killed in a fight with his brother-in-law, Joseph Hildabrand, husband of his sister Nancy. TO BE CONTINUED

  • Sergeant Major's Muster Roll: It would be an overwhelming task to try and prepare the muster rolls for these regiments. Many lists of Civil War veterans are available in libraries. I would suggest that for Kentucky regiments, serious researchers looking perhaps for their ancestor(s), seek a copy of the "Adjutant General's Report for the State of Kentucky". This massive volume lists units and their members as well as dates of enlistment etc. What I will do here, is list the principal officers of the regiments and some folks or perhaps even entire companies I am interested in. If the person you are researching isn't listed here, that doesn't mean he wasn't in the listed regiments. Individuals highlighted in bold type are my relatives.

    Union Regiments

  • 3rd Kentucky Cavalry
    Colonels Commanding: Col.James S. Jackson (later general); Col. Eli H. Murray (later general)
    Executive Officer: Maj. Eli H. Murray; Maj. Wolfley
    Captain Commanding Company "G": Capt. Edward W. Ward

  • 9th Kentucky Infantry Regiment
    Colonel Commanding: Col. Benjamin C. Grider
    Executive Officers: Lieut. Col. Cram; Maj. John H. Grider
    Adjutant: Capt. John H. Grider; Capt. Baily
    Captain Commanding Company "B": Capt William T. Bryan (Killed in action at Stone's River); Capt. Silas Clark
    Privates: Pvt. Abraham Cross (wounded at Missionary Ridge; Pvt. James Cross; Pvt. Isaac Cross (wounded and discharged, cousin of my g.g.grandfather Isaac Cross listed below in the 37th Kentucky)

  • 11th Kentucky Infantry Regiment
    Colonels Commanding: Col. Pierce B. Hawkins; Col. S. P. Love
    Executive Officer: Lieut. Col. Eramus L. Mottley; Maj. Woodford M. Hochin; Maj. Eugene F. Kinnard
    Adjutant: Capt. John T. Kinnaird
    Sergeants Major: James T. Rew; James W. Patterson
    Co A: Captains Commanding: Capt. Eugene F. Kinnard; Capt. James M. Elms
    Privates: Pvt. Benjamin F. Westray; Pvt. John F. Westray

  • 27th Kentucky Infantry Regiment
    Colonels Commanding: Col. C. D. Pennebaker; Lieut.Col. John H. Ward (Col. Ward wrote the regiment's history)
    Executive Officer: Maj. James Carlisle
    Adjutant: Capt. James B. Speed
    Color Sergeant John T. Defevers

  • 37th Kentucky Infantry Regiment (Mounted)
    Colonel Commanding: Col. Charles S. Hanson (wounded and captured at Saltville, VA)
    Executive Officers: Lieut. Col. Benjamin J. Spaulding; Maj. Samuel Martin (my g.g.grandfather named his son, Martin, after this man)
    Sergeants Major: William J. Quarry; Thomas Morris; Benjamin W. Spaulding
    Co B: Captain Commanding: Capt. Jonathan W. Roark
    Pvt. Isaac Cross (my g.g.grandfather)

    Confederate Regiments

  • 1st (Feild's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment
    Colonel Commanding: Col. Hume R.Feild
    Company "H" (Aytch): Pvt. James L. Sellers (my son's g.g.g.grandfather)

  • 9th (Ward's) Tennessee Cavalry
    Colonel Commanding: Col. James Bennett (wounded in action and later died) Col. William Walker Ward (cousin of the Wards listed above in the 3rd Kentucky Cavalry and the 27th Kentucky Infantry)
    Company B: Trooper Robert Barksdale Moss

    Brevet Major General William Thomas Ward was born in Virginia to a family who had lived and owned plantations in that state since 1632. Yet when the war came, he answered the need of the Union. Educated at Kentucky's St. Marys College, Ward practiced law in the Bluegrass State, interrupting his career to serve as a major of the 4th Kentucky Volunteers in the Mexican War until 1848. Upon his return he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives as a Whig from 1851 to 1853. After his term he returned home to Greensburg, Kentucky and practiced law. In 1861 at the behest of President Lincoln, Ward accepted an appointment to brigadier general and recruited a brigade of soldiers from in and around his home district. Some of the regiments he raised are cited elsewhere on this page. His brigade was one of the few organized bodies of Union soldiers resisting the Confederates attempt to bring Kentucky into their fold. By the spring of 1862 "Old Pap" was in command of the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, Reserve Corps of the Army of the Ohio. Early in 1864 after serving as a post commander in Gallatin, Tennessee, Ward was given command of a division in the XI Corps of the Army of the Cumberland. Ward distinguished himself during the Atlanta Campaign at Resaca, where he received a sever wound to his arm, and again at Peachtree Creek where his men fought the first major battle with the new "repeating" rifle. During the siege of Atlanta, the Mayor addressed his surrender of the city to Ward, the closest general officer to the city's environs. Ward led his 3rd Division of the XX Corps on Sherman's March to the Sea and then through the Carolinas. He was breveted a Major General on February 24, 1865 and was mustered out with his soldiers six months later. Thereafter he practiced law in Louisville and Greensburg, Kentucky until his death October 12, 1878. Ward is a relative of the author of this webpage.

  • 1st (Feild's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment was organized May 9, 1861 at Nashville, Tennessee; mustered into Confederate service August 1, 1861. The men came from Davidson, Williamson, Hardin, Maury, Giles, and Rutherford counties of Tennessee. The regiment was originally under the command of Colonel George Maney. After Maney was promoted to brigadier general at Shiloh, Captain Hume R. Field was elected Colonel and remained in command of the regiment for the duration of the war. After receiving training at camp Harris in Franklin county, the regiment was ordered to Virginia in July 1861 and became a part of General Samuel R. Anderson's brigade of General Loring's divison, Army of the Northwest. It took part in the Cheat Mountain Campaign in West Virginia in September of 1861, the first campaign of General Robert E. Lee. In December of the same year, the regiment came under the command of General "Stonewall" Jackson for a campaign along the Potomac River in Virginia. Afterward the regiment was ordered West and spent the rest of the war as a part of the Army of Tennessee. Companies "F" through "I" as well as "K" company, took part in the Battle of Shiloh April 6 and 7, 1862. Colonel Maney was ordered to select the forces needed and to make an assault upon the Union line. Taking the 1st Tennesse as well as the 9 and 19th regiments, Maney attacked the Federal position and caused them to retreat to the banks of the Tennessee River. His action was described as "brillant" and was one of the reasons he was promoted to general. On the second day of the battle the 1st led a counterattack on the Union force's left flank and stopped their advance. During the time Maney commanded the three regiment brigade, Captain Feild was in command of the 1st Tennessee. The regiment's next engagement was at the Battle of Perryville near the town of that name in Kentucky on October 8, 1862 where it suffered more than 50% casualties. As a part of Bragg's army the 1st retreated to Tennessee and was heavily engaged at the Battle of Murfreesboro (Stone's River) on December 31, 1862. After this battle the 1st and 27th Tennessee regiments were consolidated due to the number of casualties they both had suffered, and placed under command of Colonel Feild. On September 18 to 20, 1863, the regiment took part in the Battle of Chickamauga near Chatanooga, Tennesee where they behaved valiantly. After participating in a demonstration of strength in East Tennessee, the regiment returned in time to take part in the Battle of Missionary Ridge (Chattanooga), covering the army's withdrawal to Georgia. The regiment's next engagement was as the defenders of the "Dead Angle" (a fortified position) in the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain June 27th of 1864. At this battle the regiment inflicted heavy casualties upon the Union forces attacking them. After command of the Army of Tennessee was given General John Bell Hood, the regiment returned to Tennessee to take part in the Battle of Franklin and the Battle of Nashville in November and December of 1864. After this defeat the regiment went on a long and grueling march to Bentonville, North Carolina where it was again engaged. The regiment was surrendered by General Joseph E. Johnston at Durham, North Carolina on May 1, 1865. Only 125 men and officers were left at the final surrender. Among the survivors was Private James L. Sellers, ancestor of the author's wife, and Corporal Sam R. Watkins author of Company Aytch, the definitive description of the Civil War from a soldier's point of view.

    The 9th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment was a "hard luck" unit. Originally it was organized as the 15th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion in August 1862 and comprised men from Smith, Sumner, and Wilson counties of Tennessee. In its initial engagement in September of that year near the village of Goodlettsville, Tennessee, the 15th was completely routed losing 26 men captured and 20 wounded or killed. More of the men were captured in actions in Gallatin and Lebanon, Tennessee. The original commander, Col James Bennett, died of wounds received at Goodlettsville. The new commander, Col William Walker Ward, assumed command early in 1863 when General John Hunt Morgan's command was reorganized into regular brigades. The hard luck 15th was redesignated the the 9th (Ward's) Tennessee Regiment. Despite this change in name, there was no change in luck. Ward instituted strict discipline in his command, turning it into a unit that General Basil W. Duke referred to as "one of the best I ever knew". The 9th soon established itself as a hard fighting and reliable recon unit, capturing many Union prisoners and supplies. The 9th engaged in hit and run guerilla tactics South of the Cumberland River in Tennessee (near Carthage), a role it was well suited to. Then, it expanded its horizons and joined Morgan on his famous Great Northern Raid through Kentucky, Indiana, and into Ohio. But in July of 1863 the ill fortunes of the unit reared its head yet again. On July 19th of 1863 Col Ward and most of the 9th Regiment were captured while trying to find a ford across the flood swollen Ohio River. Two companies managed to escape and rejoin Confederate forces, among the soldiers that got away was my relative, Corporal Robert Barksdale Moss. A report from the companies that got away says "We traversed the states of Indiana and Ohio, and recrossed the Ohio River at Buffington's Island, under fire of gunboats, infantry, and cavalry with artillery, landing on the Virginia shore." This small remnant of the 9th was reorganized, appropriately, as the 13th Tennessee Cavalry and adopted the motto "Nil Desperandum" (No despair). Col Ward was captured as well and spent a year imprisoned in Union camps until August of 1864 when he was exchanged. Upon his release the 9th was reactivated and, possibly in a final attempt to ward off its bad luck, was redesignated 1st (Ward's) Kentucky Cavalry Battalion. The jinx was boken, and in the only significant engagement of the 1st Kentucky at the Battle of Saltville, they more than held their own against Union forces. My great great grandfather Isaac Cross was with the forces opposing the 1st Kentucky Cavalry at Saltville. On the 5th of February 1865, Corporal Robert B. Moss was wounded in action and furloughed home. Exactly 3 months later on the 5th of May, 1865 Col Ward surrendered his unit for the second and last time at Augusta, Georgia. Thus ended the service of this variously numbered unit. Ill luck continued to follow the commander of this unit. Col Ward returned home for the first time since he had left for the "Great Raid" nearly two years before. A lawyer, Ward became embroiled in a bitter lawsuit over his father's estate. He was elected to a public office and was challenged by his opponent. Before either case could be resolved, Ward died on April 10, 1871 aged 45, less than six years after the war's end.

    Walt Cross is a retired army Master Sergeant who gave more than twenty years service to the nation. A Vietnam veteran, he holds a bachelors degree in history and a masters degree in recreation. His hobbies are genealogy, the study of military history, and writing.

    This Page Was Last Updated on Friday, May 7, 1999.

    For information about this page, send e-mail to
    Walt Cross